Belgium Visa Details

  • Home
  • Belgium Details

If you're considering working in Belgium, the most common route is to obtain a work visa or permit. There are various visa options available for people wishing to work in Belgium, though visa rules and categories can change over time.

1.Single Permit:

In Belgium, the "single permit" combines both the residence and work permit for non-European workers. This was implemented to simplify the procedures and involves a single application process.

2.EU Blue Card:

For highly skilled non-EU nationals.

Requires a binding job offer with a certain minimum salary threshold.

It's intended for those with higher professional qualifications and offers certain benefits, including mobility within the EU.


3.Professional Card (Carte professionnelle/Carte beroeps kaart):

For self-employed non-EU nationals wishing to practice a self-employed activity in Belgium.

Validity and conditions might vary, but it's generally valid for a maximum of 5 years.


4.Researcher's Permit: For those conducting scientific research in a recognized Belgian research institution.


5.Trainee Permits: For individuals in training or internship programs.


6. Au Pair Permit:For young foreigners between 18 and 26 years old coming to Belgium to improve their language skills and gain cultural experience by living with a host family and helping with childcare and light housework.


7. Student Work Permit: Students from outside the EU/EEA may work up to 20 hours per week during term time, provided they have a specific type of contract. They can work unrestricted hours outside term time.


8. Seasonal Work Permit: For non-EU nationals coming to Belgium for seasonal work, typically in sectors like agriculture.


9. Special Residence Permits:There are specific permits for special cases, such as journalists, NATO officials, or those on diplomatic missions.


10. Family Reunification:


Non-EU family members of individuals legally residing in Belgium (or EU/EEA citizens living in Belgium) might be eligible for residence rights under family reunification provisions.


EU/EEA and Swiss nationals do not need a work permit to work in Belgium, but they may need to fulfill certain registration requirements if they plan to stay for an extended period.


Belgium's regional authorities primarily manage the issuance of work permits. This means the specific conditions and processes can differ slightly between the regions (Flanders, Wallonia, and Brussels-Capital).


As with any country, Belgium's regulations and types of work permits can change or be updated over time. For the most current and detailed information, it would be advisable to consult the website of the relevant regional employment agency or consult with an immigration expert specific to Belgium.