Canada Visa Details

  • Home
  • Canada Details

If you're interested in working in Canada, the most common way to do so is through a work permit. Canada has various immigration pathways and work permit options to allow foreign nationals to work temporarily in the country. 


1.Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP)

This program is for foreign nationals who have a valid job offer from a Canadian employer.

Before you can apply, your employer typically must obtain a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) from Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC). This means the employer has to demonstrate there's a genuine need for a foreign worker and that no Canadians were available to do the job.


2.International Mobility Program (IMP): 

This program allows employers to hire foreign workers without the need for an LMIA.

Includes categories like the Intra-Company Transfer and certain free trade agreement provisions.


3.International Experience Canada (IEC): 

This is for young people (usually aged 18-35) from certain countries that have a bilateral agreement with Canada.

Offers three categories: Working Holiday, Young Professionals, and International Co-op Internship.

Eligibility, age limits, and quota by country can vary.


4.Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP):

For international students who have completed a program of study at an eligible Canadian post-secondary institution.

Allows graduates to work in Canada for up to three years, depending on the length of their study program.


5.Open Work Permits and Employer-Specific Work Permits

Open work permits allow individuals to work for any employer in Canada, while employer-specific work permits require the individual to work for the specified employer in the permit.

Spouses or common-law partners of skilled workers or international students might also be eligible for open work permits.


6.Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP)

For those who have applied for permanent residence in Canada and are waiting for a decision but have a work permit that's about to expire.

Allows such individuals to keep working while their permanent residence application is in process.


7.Global Talent Stream (GTS)

Part of the Temporary Foreign Worker Program.

Aims to provide Canadian employers faster access to highly skilled global talent.

Has two categories: Category A (for employers referred by a designated referral partner) and Category B (for employers hiring highly skilled workers in occupations on the Global Talent Occupations List).


8.Agri-Food Immigration Pilot: For temporary foreign workers in the agri-food sector who have full-time, non-seasonal job offers in certain industries and occupations.


9.Other pilot programs and regional programs :Various provinces and territories have specific immigration streams and pilot programs, many of which relate to jobs and professions that are in demand in that region.



Eligibility requirements can vary significantly across different permit categories.

If planning to work in the province of Quebec, there are additional procedures due to its special agreement with the Government of Canada on immigration.

For the most current information, always refer to the official website of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) or consult with a regulated Canadian immigration consultant (RCIC) or Talk to our experts