Finland Visa Details

  • Home
  • Finland Details

As of our  last update, Finland offers various types of work-related residence permits for foreigners. Here are the primary types:


1. Residence permit for an employed person (also known as a work permit): This is the general category for those who have a job offer in Finland. The specific permit type can vary based on the nature of the work, such as whether it's for a specialist, athlete, coach, or researcher.


2. EU Blue Card: This is for highly qualified non-EU nationals with a binding job offer in Finland. The job offer must meet certain salary thresholds and requires the applicant to have higher professional qualifications.


3. Residence permit for a self-employed person: Foreigners who want to engage in business activities in Finland can apply for this permit. They need to demonstrate that their business is profitable and they can support themselves with the income from it.


4. Residence permit for an entrepreneur: This is intended for those who have a leading position in a company or run their own business in Finland.


5. Residence permit for internship: This is for individuals who have an internship agreement with an employer in Finland.


6. Residence permit for research: Researchers with a hosting agreement can apply for this type of permit.


7. Residence permit for studies: Though primarily for studying, students in Finland are also allowed to work to an extent without a separate work permit.


8. Seasonal work: For those engaging in seasonal work, such as in agriculture or tourism, there's a specific type of permit. The length of the permit depends on the duration of the seasonal work, but it can't exceed 9 months.


9. Working holiday: For young adults from countries that have a working holiday agreement with Finland. It allows them to work, study, or be an entrepreneur in Finland for a short time.




These are the primary categories for work-related permits, but there are other permits and nuances depending on individual circumstances, family reunifications, and so forth.


It's essential to note that the specific requirements, processes, and available permits might evolve over time. If you or someone you know is considering working in Finland, I would recommend checking the latest guidelines from the Finnish Immigration Service (Migri) or consulting with an immigration lawyer or expert for guidance specific to the individual's situation.