Netherlands Visa Details

  • Home
  • Netherlands Details

As of our last update, the Netherlands offers a range of work and residence permits for foreigners based on the nature of their work and their circumstances. Here are some of the common types:


1. Highly Skilled Migrant Permit: This is for qualified professionals who are recruited by companies recognized as sponsors by the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND). A salary threshold usually applies, which varies based on age.


2. EU Blue Card: Aimed at highly skilled non-EU nationals, this card facilitates working and living in the EU. To qualify for a Blue Card in the Netherlands, one needs to have a work contract or binding job offer with a high salary threshold compared to the average in the country.


3. Intra-Corporate Transfer (ICT) Permit: This is for managers, specialists, or trainees transferred from a non-EU branch of a multinational company to a branch in the Netherlands. The ICT directive is an EU-wide directive, meaning the permit can also be valid for other EU countries.


4. Orientation Year Permit for Highly Educated Persons: Graduates from Dutch universities or specific top international institutions can apply for this "zoekjaar" permit, which gives them a year to find work in the Netherlands without the need for a separate work permit.


5. Self-Employment and Startup Visa: For entrepreneurs and those wanting to start a business in the Netherlands. A points-based system is in place for self-employed persons, and startups have specific requirements like having an innovative business idea.


6. Work Permit for Seasonal Labor: This is for non-EU nationals who intend to carry out seasonal work for a maximum period of 24 weeks within a calendar year.


7. Work Permit for Short-term Employment: This is for non-EU nationals who intend to work for less than three months in the Netherlands.


8. General Work Permit (GVVA): This is a combined residence and employment permit. Employers have to demonstrate that there are no suitable candidates from the Netherlands or other EU/EEA countries before hiring from outside the EU.


9. Researcher under Directive (EU) 2016/801: For researchers coming to do research at recognized research institutions.


10. Paid Employment: For those who have an employer in the Netherlands and need a residence permit for paid employment.


11. Au Pair: This is for young people who want to stay with a host family in the Netherlands to learn the language and culture while doing some light housework and childcare.


12. Artist and Musician: A specific permit for those who want to work as an artist or musician in the Netherlands.


Remember, Dutch immigration policies can change, and there might be specific conditions or requirements for each type of permit. If you or someone you know is considering working in the Netherlands, it's essential to check the most recent regulations or consult with a legal expert familiar with Dutch immigration law or Talk to our experts.