Greece Visa Details

  • Home
  • Greece Details

As of our last update, Greece offers several types of work and residence permits for non-EU/EEA nationals who wish to work in the country. Here are the primary categories:


1. Employment and Professional Activity:


This is a standard work permit granted to individuals who have secured employment in Greece. It's initially valid for two years and can be renewed.


2. Special Purpose Employment:


This category covers specific professions such as seasonal workers, fishermen, and some artists. The permits under this category can have varying durations.


3. Independent Economic Activity:


For those who want to start a business or work as freelancers in Greece. It's important to note that they will need to fulfill specific requirements related to their economic activity, such as capital investments or job creation.


4. Investment Activity:


This is for foreign investors who intend to make significant investments in Greece. The investment amount and the potential for job creation are factors in the approval process.


5. Researchers and Students:


Researchers working on specific projects or students in Greece may be granted permits that also allow them to work a certain number of hours per week.


6. EU Blue Card:


This is for highly skilled non-EU nationals. An EU Blue Card requires a binding job offer with a certain minimum salary and typically requires higher professional qualifications.


7. Seasonal Work:


For those engaging in short-term employment in sectors like agriculture or tourism during specific periods of the year.


8. Strategic Investments:


Individuals involved in major investment projects may be eligible for specific types of work and residence permits, based on the nature and significance of the project.


9. Special Cases:


This category covers permits for reasons not included in the above categories, such as humanitarian reasons or national interest.


10.Family Reunification:


Relatives of individuals legally residing in Greece may be eligible for permits under family reunification provisions.


EU/EEA and Swiss nationals do not require a work permit to work in Greece due to EU regulations on freedom of movement. However, for stays longer than three months, they may need to register their residence.


It's crucial to note that immigration rules, permit types, and requirements can change. If you or someone you know is considering working in Greece, it would be a good idea to consult the latest guidelines and information from the Greek Ministry of Migration and Asylum or consult with an immigration expert specific to Greece or Talk to our experts.